My son is a very active four year old and is a little clumsy at times. This past couple of weeks he had two big blows to his face. One he fell and hit the front of his mouth on a door jam. His lip swelled up pretty big and his gums were bruised. This last week he was wrestling with his sister and long behold her head jammed straight into his chin. I heard a whack and he started screaming. I ran to him and noticed one of his front teeth was knocked straight back in his mouth, but still attached.
I calmed him down and got on the internet to look at what to do. I found that you are supposed to apply pressure on the tooth until it is back in place. I explained to him that I had to fix his tooth and asked him if he wanted to watch in the mirror to distract him. Applying pressure his gum and tooth made a loud pop and blood came out everywhere. He stared screaming and asking me why I hurt him. Man that broke my heart. I felt terrible, but the reality is no matter how bad that hurt him it was the best thing for his little mouth.
photo by: KCNewman Photography
How often is our life like this? Tragedy happens and we ask God why he is hurting us. We wonder if God is really for us. We cry out to Him in pain. I get this sense He is holding us saying, “Son, this is the best thing for you. I know you don’t understand, but just trust me.” If you are struggling to trust God with your life, if you doubt like I do at times that all things do work for your good, try the following steps. These 5 steps renew my trust in God!
Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
1. Prayer. Prayer is crucial to having a trusting relationship with God. One of the ways we learn to trust is by spending time with Him. We must pray daily when things are good and when things are bad. Talk to God! Bring your petitions to Him. Pray for help and healing in your life. The second aspect to prayer, which is the hardest for me, is listening prayer. In listening prayer, get quiet before God with paper and a pen. Allow God to speak to you! Both verbalizing and listening in prayer are crucial to renew our trust in God.
2. Study. You must study the Bible. You must build this discipline into your life. God will speak to you through the scripture because as you read and study you will find that it examines you, not the other way around. As you read, it will remind you of God’s promises. Studying is another way to spend time with God. It is through time that trust is built in any relationship. Read the Word to build trust in God.
Joshua 1:8 “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”
3. His thoughts. This can only happen if you read the Bible. Once you know what God thinks about you then you can meditate on it. There are parts of our minds that are diseased and malfunctioned. Parts that have been given over to the troubles of this world. We need our minds to be transformed. As our thoughts begin to change our emotions will follow. Cast down your thoughts and imaginations and pick up God’s!
4. The love of a close brother or sister. If you want a healthy trusting relationship with God, you need other Christians that are going the same direction as you. Community challenges us and refines us. Community gives us visible reminders of God’s love for us. We need this built in our lives. We were never intended to do life alone. Jesus ministered and operated with twelve disciples. He built relationships into His life and we must do the same. Build relationships to renew your trust in God.
5. Worship. I have worship music playing at my store, in my car and at my house. Everywhere there is worship music playing because it is that important to me in my life. It is through authentic worship that our stance and posture toward God is changed. Worship is a natural response to God’s love and goodness. As we begin to be freed of the tyranny of wrong thinking, we have an outpour of worship. Worship God because He changed you! Build relationship and trust through your part of worshiping the Creator of the universe.
Come to your heavenly Father like a child. Just be honest with God. “God I want to trust you fully, however I am struggling. I don’t want to trust in my own strength, but in You. When I don’t understand why, I will trust you. Lord I believe; help me to believe.” Keep on walking it out. King David, a man after God’s own heart, cried out in anguish but in the end said, “Nevertheless I will trust you.” God has you in the palm of His hand. Keep on walking! Keep on pressing in and picking up His thoughts. You are more than a conqueror, now go be blessed on your journey.
How do you strengthen and renew your trust in God?
* If you enjoyed this article, share it with someone you think would benefit.